Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Ted Dibiase(MILLION DOLLAR MAN)

EVERY MAN HAS HIS PRICE CHAPTER 12 THE WHIRLWIND: Over the years the definition EDGING GOD OUT has stuck with me mostly because its the exact description of my behavior during my years as the MILLION DOLLAR MAN One of the saddest things is I knew all along that living a life souled out to the Lord was would be better than this life. BUT I WAS STUBBORN! I would try to get my life in order at certain times but it wouldn't last very long. HAVING SUCH A GOOD TIME IN MY SELFISH LIFESTYLE CAUSED ME TO FORGET ABOUT GOD! Not long before I had become THE MILLION DOLLAR MAN me and my wife had been searching for a church near our hometown of Clinton, Mississippi. WE DECIDED TO SETTLE AT MORRISON HEIGHTS BAPTIST CHURCH. We both enjoyed the messages from the pulpit and the Pastor Ken Alford was a real man of God. Pastor Ken Alford and I developed a friendship and it still grows to this day. He wasn't afraid to be honest with me about where my life was heading. ONE DAY HE SHOWED IT. After one morning service Ken warned me, "TED YOU BETTER GET READY." A bit confused by his statement I replied, "READY FOR WHAT?" "THERE ARE BIG TESTS AHEAD FOR YOU. SO YOU HAD BETTER GET READY." It was like the lord had shown him that my life in the days ahead would be caught up in a whirlwind. Doing my best to brush Kens words out of my mind I thought, "ILL BE OK" I believed I didn't need a warning and that it was time to enjoy life. BUT KEN WAS RIGHT. I was not ready for this new lifestyle I began to live by becoming the Million Dollar Man. I GOT CAUGHT UP IN IT IN A BIG WAY. LIKE IN MY COLLEGE DAYS I FORGOT ABOUT THE LORD AND STARTED EDGING HIM OUT AGAIN. I was having a good time completely forgetting Pastor Ken's warning. Melanie, my wife, was trying to be patient and understanding but our relationship was being affected by all the stress and strain caused by this lifestyle. I WAS LIVING IN MY OWN WORLD FEELING I NEEDED NO ONE ELSE NOT EVEN GOD. I learned much about personal pride from my dad he caused me to believe that I was able to pick myself up no matter what. OF COURSE HE NEVER WANTED ME TO BELIEVE THAT I DIDNT NEED GOD. IF YOU CAN GRIEVE IN HEAVEN MY DAD MOST DEFINITELY WAS DURING THESE WAYWARD YEARS OF MINE. HONORING THE LORD WAS THE NUMBER ONE FOCUS IN MY DADS LIFE. If I didn't change I was going to destroy myself and my family. Little did I know that I was about to hit rock bottom. CHAPTER 13: HITTING ROCK BOTTOM AND FINDING FORGIVNESS: IT HAD TO COME CRASHING DOW EVENTUALLY. As the million dollar man I was making more money than I ever believed was possible in the world of wrestling. EVERY WHERE I WENT I GOT FIRST CALSS TREATMENT. In the midst of this whirlwind something terrible started to happen. The million dollar man was not just an act anymore it became my personality. As a result of my celebrity status I began to surrender to the temptations that came my way. IN OTHER WORDS I BECAME WORLDLY! When the main focus of my life should have been on God and my family it was all focused on me. I was basking in my own glory and losing touch with reality. It was all about EDGING GOD OUT in my life but as God always does with those he loves he decided to get my attention. After WRESTLEMANIA 7 in 1992 I was scheduled for a brief layover in the Windy City then I would go to London to begin a European Tour. I phoned Melanie after I settled in my hotel and our conversation was far from just simple talk. Melanie had become aware of some of the situations I was involved in that just weren't right. I don't want to give all the details but lets just say I WAS NOT LIVING A HOLY LIFE. Melanie had decided that the best way to handle the situation was to directly confront me. I knew that the only thing to do was to be honest with her which I was. It was one of the most difficult conversations Ive ever had in my life knowing that the woman I loved so much was suffering such intense pain because of my actions. I told her that I would gladly cancel my trip to Europe so that I could fly home but Melanie was so mad at me she didn't want me to come home. So she told me to just fly to Europe. After I hung up the phone I sat in the empty room and the silence overwhelmed me. Confessing to Melanie was forcing me to confess to myself that I didn't know what to do. Slamming my fist on the nightstand I cried out "WHO CAN I TURN TOO? WHO CAN HELP ME MAKE SENSE OUT OF ALL THIS MESS?" Pastor Hal Santos had been my friend for many years dating back to when I lived in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. All the time we had known each other he had prayed for me out of concern for my spiritual warfare. I knew if anyone could help me it would be Hal. I was sitting in that hotel desperate for answers and I was searching for Hals phone number in my address book. When I found it it was to his home in Bellville, Illinois. "HAL ITS TED" "TED! ITS GREAT TO HEAR YOU. ARE YOU ON THE ROAD OR AT HOME?" "IM IN CHICAGO AND ITS NOT DOING VERY WELL. IM AT THE END OF MY ROPE. I REALLY NEED SOME HELP." "WHATS WRONG?" "IVE BEEN SELFISH AND STUPID," I answered "I SEE," he replied "HAL CAN YOU COME UP HERE? CAN YOU FLY HERE AND SPEND SOME TIME WITH ME PLEASE?". Hal promised to call me back after he checked a few things. As I waited I paced the room like a caged Bengal tiger. In a matter of minutes the phone rang. He said he would be on the next flight which was an answer I was desperately hoping to hear. Before he hung up he said to me, "YOU KNOW TED YOU CALLED ME BUT YOU WERE REALLY CRYING OUT TO THE LORD." I KNEW THAT HAL COULD READ ME LIKE A BOOK. When Hal arrived several hours later I poured out me life to him holding nothing back. We talked, cried, and prayed together. Hal reminded me lovingly yet forcefully, "GOD HAS WARNED YOU AGAIN AND AGAIN." I could only nod my head overcome with shame and need for forgiveness. "THIS IS GODS WAKE UP CALL FOR YOU TED," he said. The more we talked and prayed the more I pleaded with God to give me a second chance to make things right, especially with Melanie. I left for London reluctantly with my only comfort as Hals assurance that he would call Melanie to see if there was anything he could do to help us work things out. After three days of being in Europe Hal called bringing me good news. He said Melanie had agreed to meet with me at his house so I jumped on the next plane to Saint Loius. The promoter excused me from the rest of the tour dew to a family emergency.When my plane first landed Hal was waiting for me at the gate. As we drove to Belleville I asked Hal what I should say to Melanie. I'll never forget the answer he gave me, "TED JUST REMEMBER ONE THING:THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE." "SO I SHOULD JUST TELL HER THE TRUTH?" "YES IM NOT PROMISING IT WILL SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE BUT WE BOTH KNOW ITS THE RIGHT THING TO DO." When we got to Hals home I greeted Melanie, sat down, and told her the truth. LOOKING BACK ON THIS MOMENT I BELIEVE GOD HAD HIS HAND OVER THE ENTIRE ADVENTURE. HAVING HAL THERE WAS A MIRACLE. When I had first called him from Chicago he said he had several appointments the next few days but suddenly they began to be canceled. Time was amazingly being available out of ordinary circumstances. THIS WAS NO COINCIDENCE. Hal and his wife did have an appointment the next day to take a busload of kids up to Chicago to attend a youth convention. After our encounter at Hals home Melanie and I also got on the bus not knowing at all what would happen. After we settled into the hotel we went to the first session which was being held in one of the large meeting rooms on the ground floor. I must admit that I don't remember the preachers name but as he began his message his words bored a hole in me like a laser beam from God. It was a message of forgiveness and it drilled through my hardened heart. As I listened to this servant of God pour out his heart it became the only thing that was important to me. "ACCEPT CHRIST AS YOUR LORD AND SAVIOR AND YOUR SINS WILL BE FORGIVEN," was the gospel message in its simplest form. It all started to make sense now. As Hal had said GOD HAD TRIED OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO GET MY ATTENTION. NOW I WAS IN SUCH A PLACE THAT ALL I COULD DO WAS LISTEN. The preacher gave an alter call at the end of the service. He invited anyone who wanted to be forgiven to come to the front of the room. IT WAS THE MOST SIGNIFICANT TIME IN MY LIFE. Once he explained the alter call I was the first to respond. I immediately stood to my feet and walked forward. FINALLY I ENDED UP AT THE FOOT OF THE CROSS.FOR YEARS I HAD PROFESSED CHRIST BUT I HAD ALSO SELFISHLY PUSHED HIM AWAY. THAT NIGHT IN CHICAGO WAS WHEN IT BECAME REAL. I WAS BORN INTO THE FAMILY OF GOD! Kneeling down I prayed to God: "DEAR GOD, FORGIVE ME OF BEING SO SELFISH. I WANT YOU TO COME INTO MY LIFE AND TAKE FULL CONTROL. IM NO LONGER HOLDING BACK. YOU BE THE CAPTAIN OF MY SHIP NOW. ILL BE THERE FOR THE RIDE." When I had finished praying then the front of the room became filled with teenagers accepting Christ in their own lives. The MILLION DOLLAR MAN wept uncontrollably in front of all those kids that night. As I cried Hals words came back to my mind THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE. I knew if I was to make my life right with the Lord I needed to have faith to trust him then and there. I knew that if I did that he would fix everything. As I headed back to my seat I knew what Melanie must be feeling. Understandably she was deeply hurt by my selfish life. She wanted to believe that what had just happened was real. I knew that I would have to prove myself to her in the coming time and if she stood with me I would be willing to do that. She did stand with me and to this day Im so grateful that God gave her to me. She had been advised by her Christian girlfriends that instead of filing for divorce she should confront me. " SEE IF YOU CAN FIND IT IN YOUR HEART WHETHER HE REALLY IS SORRY FOR WHAT HE DID OR JUST SORRY FOR BEING CAUGHT." "IF HES TRULY SORRY AND WILLING TO CHANGE THE LORD SAYS YOU SHOULD FORGIVE HIM." they had added. AND THATS WHAT SHE DID "TED, IS THERE ANYTHING YOU WANT TO SAY TO THESE KIDS?" Hal surprisingly asked as we headed to another room to hear Hal give a message. Looking at him closely thinking that he was joking I asked, "ME?" Being perfectly serious he answered, "YES YOU." "WELL OK!" I responded not knowing what to say after what had just happened. What I had said came from a man who knew real brokenness. From the depths of my heart I spoke to the small group of wide-eyed receptive teenagers: "YOU SEE BEFORE YOU A MAN WHO IS SUPPOSE TO HAVE EVERYTHING. BUT I AM HERE TO TELL YOU THAT WITHOUT CHRIST IN MY LIFE I HAVE NOTHING." At the end of the session a man approached me and said he wanted to talk. We moved over to a quiet corner in the meeting room. "IM A MINISTER AND I FEEL I HAVE TO TELL YOU SOMETHING," he said as he introduced himself. "I DONT MEAN TO SOUND COLD OR HARD BUT TRUTH IS IM SELDOM BROUGHT TO TEARS BY THE WORDS OF ANOTHER PERSON." Assuring him that I understood I told him to continue. In subdued tones he finally said," SIR! WHAT YOU SAID TO THOSE TEENAGERS HAS BROUGHT ME TO TEARS. GOD HAD USED YOU TONIGHT YOUNG MAN." Then we embraced and we both started crying. IVE THOUGHT ABOUT HOW GOD USED THAT EVENING NOT ONLY TO GET MY ATTENTION BUT TO LAUNCH ME TOWARD A MINISTRY SPECIFICALLY GEARED FOR KIDS. THE LORD REALLY CONVICTED ME TO REACH OUT TO THOSE AROUND ME. MAYBE GOD HAS ALLOWED ME TO GO THROUGH WHAT I HAVE THE GOOD AND THE BAD IN ORDER TO SHOW OTHERS THE VALUE OF HAVING CHRIST IN THEIR LIVES.

No comments:

Post a Comment