Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tabloid Junkie

Nailie Cole Angel On My Shoulder Chapter 29 Heartbreak: Being a celebrity means both your triumphs and your failures are out there for all to see and judge.Eventhough we celebrities develop a tough skin on the outside were mush on the inside. We hurt and we bleed like everybody else. Its painful to have your life spread out infront of people who dont even know you; then they get to decide who you are by what someone else has written Chuck Norris Against All Odds Chapter 16 Close Calls: Donahues response revealed much about the television medium and himself, He looked at me without apology and said,"We'll get great ratings for this show, Chuck. Its controversial, so our ratings will go through the roof." Sadly thats the bottom line for many Donahue types in the news media as well as entertainment industry even to this day. Its not about truth, right,and wrong, or moral issues; its about ratings and money. Chuck Norris Against All Odds Chapter 22 Walker Texas Ranger: Peter than turned toward me and said,"And I would like to introduce Chuck Norris, who has the most violent program on television."\ That was my introduction I realized instantly that I had been set up, that Id walked into a trap again, similar to the one I had encountered withe Phil Donahue years earlier. Peter Jennings wasnt interested in how KICKSTART could help kids raise their self-esteem,get off drugs,get out of gangs, and start living productive lives. He obviously had an entirely different agenda from the one hed proposed to me in asking me on his show. I wasnt going to sit back and allow this statement to go unchallenged. I didnt know if it was my turn to talk or not, but I jumped right in."Id like to rebut that, Peter. If you ever watch the show, which I doubt that you do,youd see that Walker Texas Ranger deals with good versus evil. Walker is a family show, and if you went through our mail from veiwers, youd realize that families are sitting down together on Sunday night to watch this show and that Walker is one of the few programs on television that families can enjoy watching together." That set the tone for a virulent hour of discussion between Peter, the panel, and the audience. When Peter asked one woman on the bleachers her opinion concerning the violence on television she responded,"We know the difference between reality and the movies. If you dont then youre stupid." Peter didnt ask that woman any further questions. He really started to get hot as the discussion turned in a direction that he hadnt aniticipated. It got worse when he introduced a rap song with sleazy, violent lyrics, in a effort to illustrate the pernicious material being recorded by rappers. As the song played over the speakers the female rap artist just sat there staring straight ahead. When the song ended she looked up at Peter Jennings, and said,"Peter thats not me. Thats not even my song. Thats somebody elses." The production department had made a mistake;theyd literally gotten the wrong music from the wrong rap artist as an illustration. Peter Jennings was flabergasted. "What do you mean thats not you?" Thats not my music," the rapper repeated. I could see heads rolling in the ABC production department. I cant say I was sorry to see Peter Jennings so thoroughly discredited in front of his own audience. In a way it served him right for attempting to stack the deck to support his own prejudices, a procedure that is extremely common on most network programs and supposedly "unbiased documentaries" on television today. Thats one reason many conservative leaders refuse to engage in the programs: the utter bias of the host precludes a fair representaion of the issues.On the other hand thats also why programs that do make an honest attempt to present both sides of the issue are thriving. I felt no sense of glee over Peters embarrassment; I was too angry at him. I was thoroughly disgusted that I had allowed myself to be pulled away from my work and to be lured to washington on false pretenses. I had come to promote myself something good wonderful and wholesome, and we hadrly talked at all about KICKSTART and the ways it could help kids. I decided that from now on Id make my own publicity for KICKSTART,and when people realized the good that can be done in schools they would rally to our side

No comments:

Post a Comment